Sunday, July 12, 2015

'96 Chevy Tahoe Custom

AMT's Chevy Tahoe Snap together kit is a great starting point for the project I had in mind. I wanted to build a slightly lowered custom cruiser that the whole family could ride in.




Since this kit depicts a stock four wheel drive Tahoe, that meant I needed to make some slight modifications to the body. The first modification was to remove the running boards. I did this by using a razor saw and then after they were removed, a little sanding was required to clean up the bottom of the rocker panels. The rear roll pan, seen in the photo below, was added from an AMT Chevy Dually kit. The roll pan required a good bit of sanding to get the body work to look just right. In the end, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. 




The hood came from the AMT Chevy Dually kit and the air dam came from an AMT Chevy 454SS kit. It was added to the bottom of the front bumper. I dechromed the Tahoe's front bumper using Castrol Super Clean. Then Tamiya primer was applied to all of the body parts before I shot Testors Gloss Yellow to the entire body. Wow, it looked like a school bus! That's not exactly what I was thinking of. I immediately made the decision to go with a two-tone scheme. After a few generous coats of Testors gloss black were applied, it looked so much better! Then a red stripe was applied using automotive pin striping. I detailed the grille for added realism. The Chevy emblem was painted with Tamiya gloss red.




I decided to with Pegasus 23" Chrome T's Mag wheels in addition to the Pegasus brake disc rotors. The rotors come chrome plated, so I sprayed the discs with Testors Dullcote to give them a more realistic look. The calipers were painted red. I lowered the suspension all the way around, with a slight downhill rake to the front, for just the right stance.

It was a fun project to build and is among one of my favorite models.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment